Saturday, August 30, 2008

First ride, new road wheels

I spent a couple days this past week building up a new set of road wheels for myself. This morning, I finally got out to give them a test ride. I haven't installed the tubeless Hutchinson Fusion 2 tires yet. To give the wheels a test with tires I know, I just installed the Michelin Pro 2 Race tires I've been riding.

Well, considering this was the first road ride I've really done in like... three weeks... (ouch) I wasn't feeling tremendous. Still, I headed out on roads I knew, eager to see if I noticed a difference with the wheels. On one section of Point Pleasant Pike, where I've been able to hit 26mph on a good day, I managed to get the speed up to just a smidge under 29 miles per hour! Now, remember, I haven't been on the bike for three weeks, and wasn't feeling all that strong... and wasn't pushing extra hard. Are those three extra miles per hour due to the new wheels alone? I really doubt it, but I have to say, it was really sweet to be able to crank out that type of speed when I wasn't feeling strong.

The wheels are also stiffer than I expected, due in no small part to the much taller 30mm rim profile. The old Mavic Open Pros were maybe 20mm tall, so despite running fewer spokes and lighter spokes, the rim keeps the wheel nice and strong and rigid.

I was hoping to install the tubeless tires tonight, but just plain ran out of time. Maybe tomorrow night, and I can give them a test ride on Monday morning. If the things I've heard about the tubeless road tires are true, it should be pretty special!

No comments: