Thursday, August 7, 2008

Black cherry mojito recipie

Back in May, I posted a Margarita recipe that we had come up with, since I had trouble finding a consistent recipe online. It's sweeter than the typical Margarita, (as Grace and Laurie like it) but it's still pretty good. Another drink we enjoy, that I've made in the past, but had no consistent recipe, was a Mojito. One of the problems with a Mojito is that it typically uses a carbonated drink of some sort, most typically Sprite. However, Sprite is all loaded up with high fructose corn syrup, which more and more studies are showing is just plain bad. So, we have been trying to figure out how to make a mojito without the HFCS.

One of our favorite variations on the mojito is to add pomegranate juice, or even Pama, a pomegranate liqueur. It doesn't solve our problem about the HFCS, but it sure does taste good. While Grace was drinking a Boylan's black cherry soda at lunch one day, she had a great idea... why not use Boylan's black cherry instead of Sprite?

Well, I thought it was an excellent idea, and that night I whipped up a batch. We sampled... and I whipped up another batch. We tested that one, and I whipped up a third batch. Was I fine tuning the mix? Nope... just enjoying it enough to keep making more!

So here's the recipe I used:
  • mint leaves
    I use "apple" mint, which grows immensely fast outside our house. Any mint would do, but a peppermint would likely be too strong. I kinda wing it on the quantity, but you should at least cover the bottom of the glass, and the more the merrier.
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • 1 tbsp sugar
    we use natural unbleached sugar... any granular sugar will do.
  • 2 oz white rum, Bacardi is fine
  • 2 oz Boylan's black cherry soda
  • splash of triple sec
Put the mint leaves in the glass, dump the sugar in, then juice the lime onto this. Mull the mixture - in other words, crush it with some sort of blunt object - but don't get too crazy. If you smash it up too much it'll look like lawn clippings in your mojito. (ask how I know) I'll tear larger mint leaves in half or even quarter so the sizes are all roughly the same size.

Once the mixture is decently mixed (don't worry about dissolving the sugar) add the rum, Boylan's, and triple sec. Give it a stir, serve over ice. Make sure some of the mint leaves wind up in the mixture, it adds to the mint flavor.

No comments: