Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Classic margaritas

You may remember my "Excellent Margarita Recipe" from back in May. Although that has been a favorite, it's pretty far from a "classic" margarita, whose proportions are 3:2:1 tequila, lime juice, and triple sec. After having margaritas at a neighbor's party, and hearing it used a 3:2:1 mix, I recently tried the "classic" again, and had good results. As you can imagine, changing from a 3:3:4 mix with some simple syrup to a 3:2:1 mix makes for a STRONG drink... the tequila goes from slightly less than 3/10ths of the drink to 1/2! Grace didn't like it at all.

The next time I made it with a 3:2:1, it seemed unusually strong, and not quite as good, even though I was using the same 3:2:1 ratio and same ingredients. Screwed around with it for a while, but never did find something that tasted quite as good as my previous 3:2:1 mix.

FWIW, I'm using a Jose Cuervo blanco with a basic triple sec (haven't tried the 3:2:1 with Cointreau yet) -- this is what I saw in most recipes online. I know Jose Cuervo doesn't seem to have a great reputation with folks who like tequila, but I've seen several folks say that the lower quality tequila actually works better in a margarita.

So, I still think my previous recipe is good for a more "Americanized" margarita... but I'm still searching for the best combo on the "classic" margarita.

No comments: