Sunday, April 20, 2008

Progress at the Rally!

The PMBA Rally in the Valley was yesterday, and goes down as the best ride I've had on the mountain bike in probably a year, year and a half.

Grace and I rode the full "advanced" loop, which starts with the ballbuster climb just after Bell's Mill Road, and I actually felt pretty good. Mind you, I took it slowly, used every last tooth of that granny gear, and didn't push too hard, but I got up in a respectable time, and didn't have to walk it. In fact, I cleared all the climbs without walking except a handful on the Indian trail at the end.

My back was NO problem for the first 15 minutes at least, and when it started to hurt it was just a little fatigue, nothing debilitating. A little fatigue is understandable, considering this was my third ride in three days -- road Thursday, Wiss with Grace on Friday, and then the Rally.

This also marks the first time I started feeling some of the power that I have no problem finding when I'm riding on the road. Not much of it, not enough to do anything useful with, but it was there... and this is very good news for me, since it means I'm improving on the mountain bike.

Now, lest you think this was some sort of record-breaking ride, it wasn't -- I was really getting fatigued by the end, and that's when we wound up on the Indian trail, which is probably the hardest in the park! I wound up walking a couple of climbs, and without the usual return on Forbidden Drive, my average speed was a abysmal 7.4mph. Still, I felt far better than I had on any previous ride, so I'm not upset about that average at all. We'll see what happens next time we do a standard loop, bailing out at Valley Green Inn.

Let me just wrap up by saying DZ and the gang of PMBA volunteers did an awesome job organizing and running the Rally. If you ride in the Philly area, definitely consider joining PMBA so your money can help them keep up the good work.

No comments: