Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Speed!!

Today I had the day off, so I went out for a ride. I started out later than normal, and by the time I was on the road, the temperature and humidity had already come up, and thanks to a workout yesterday, my legs were feeling heavy. So, I figured it was going to be a simple out and back ride, but it turned into my longest single ride of the year, at 43 miles. (commuting is good for two 33 mile rides, so I've had longer days)

I got out and hit the old faithful roads of upper bucks to the northeast of home, and made a point to hit several good, serious climbs. I made it all the way up to the area we call the "Lost World" (where we used to go driving with the Miata to get lost) and found a new tough hill -- Cafferty Rd just past the Frankenfield covered bridge. According to my GPS, several hundred feet of this climb were at or beyond 20% grade. That is a serious climb, and it doesn't flatten out after that, it settles in to around 7-10% grade all the way until the top. Cafferty splits off of Hollow Horn Road, which stays flat, and as you climb Cafferty, you can see Hollow Horn off to your right, dropping far, far below. It's pretty cool.

On the flipside of the big elevation changes, I set a new personal speed mark descending Tohikon Hill Road. Friday I had tried, and due to damp roads and a heathly amount of fear, I could only manage 49.7mph. Today, however, the roads were dry and clear, and I went at it with gusto, spinning all the way up to 150rpm and hitting a speed of 52mph. I've spun faster, but at those speeds, the front end of the bike starts to get a little shaky, which doesn't inspire confidence.

Couldn't help but think... with the 12-25 cassette... if I swap out the 12t cog for an 11t cog... the same 150rpm would be good for just shy of 57mph. ;-)

No comments: