Friday, July 25, 2008

My comedy of errors...

This year hasn't been much of a mountain biking year for me, what with it causing me back pain and such. On the flipside, it's been a great year for Grace on the MTB, since she's found some new friends to ride with and she's been getting stronger and stronger. I've been riding the road bike and doing pretty well with it, but we both miss riding together, and since she doesn't really road ride anymore, it would have to be on the mountain.

I finally finished rebuilding her rear wheel (she broke a spoke which was previously damaged from an overshift) so she wasn't using my wheel anymore, and since I was working from home, we could get an early start and get a ride in together. So, we pack up everything, along with some bike parts I've been hanging on to for BVL, and head out. It even looks like we're running ahead of schedule, until we realize that with all the stuff we brought, we forgot both of our helmets. So, we turn around and head back home, adding 25 or so minutes to our trip. Thankfully, Brian got stuck in traffic and we wound up at the parking lot at about the same time.

We get our stuff together, and get ready to ride, and as we go to pull away, I realize the bike sagged WAY too much in the back when I sat on it. I look down, and realize that the rear shock had blown through more than half of its travel when I sat on the bike. Well, okay, it had sat unused for a while, and although I've left it for longer and didn't lose any pressure, whatever, I'd just air it up and we'd be on our way.

So, I pumped it up to 175psi, and we were off. Not even 1/8 mile on the trail, I realize that the bike is feeling soft in the rear again, and look down to see that the shock is sagging way too much again. I hop off, and pop on the pump, and the guage reads only 50psi... a minute or two after I inflated it to 175psi. Not a good sign! So I inflate it back up, and as I'm nearing pressure, I can hear the shock leaking. At this point, I tell Grace and Brian to go on without me, and I'll just head back to the car and wait.

So, I head back to the car, and grab my phone. Dmitri's aware of my MTB issues, and being a rider of a bike with no rear suspension, I thought he'd get a laugh out of the problems I had. But... my phone's battery had died! Well, I was on call, so I had my pager, so I started sending him an email... and the pager reset on me for no apparent reason. At this point, it's starting to seem that everything I touch breaks... and I'm a little worried because I sent Grace out on the trails with a new set of tires that were insanely light. Thankfully, BVL was with her, but I expected to hear stories of woe (and anger) when she got back.

Anyhow, while Grace and BVL rode, I hiked in the Andorra Natural Area -- bikes aren't allowed, and I had always wanted to check it out, so that much was good. It's a beautiful area, and I only saw one other person, which was nice as the shared main trails can be pretty busy.

When I finally got home, I took the shock off the bike, inflated it yet again, and put it in the sink, filled with water. Sure enough, it's leaking at the rebound adjuster dial, which is exactly where it was leaking before I sent it back to Push this last time. I specifically asked them to pay attention to that! Wound up sending them an email, we'll see what happens with that.

Oh, and Grace got back from the ride and LOVED the tires. *phew*... if there was one thing to touch that didn't break, her tires would definitely be it!

No comments: