Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Adjustments to the Mac OS X Dock

I don't use the dock in OS X. I don't find it necessary - I can open apps with CMD-space, (using spotlight to search) and I can switch between apps with cmd-tab. So, I auto-hide it, which gives me much more usable space on the screen, but this winds up being an annoyance when I have to click something down near the bottom of the screen, as the dock may pop up in the way of what I'm trying to click. So, after some searching, here's some command line adjustments I made to the dock:

To increase the delay before the dock hides:

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay 10 && killall Dock

This sets the autohide delay to 10 seconds. Initially, I ran into a problem where this seemed to work but only momentarily. After running this, moving to the bottom of the screen resulted in the dock not popping up, but if I move away and back, the Dock pops back up immediately. I've set the delay as high as 1000000 and it acts this way. Further searching revealed that other links had "dock" with a capital D, which makes it not work properly. Make sure you use lower case for "dock".

Making the dock size as small as possible also helps as it covers less screen if it does pop up. This can be done from System Preferences... Dock.

To make the dock only be active applications:

defaults write com.apple.dock static-only -bool TRUE && killall Dock

(from: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customise-mac-os-x-dock-hidden-terminal-commands/)

This reduces the size further and makes it less intrusive.


No comments: