Saturday, September 13, 2008

My big, crazy, pointless project...

Recently I've undertaken the project of rearranging my digital pictures. One of the things I've done is renamed them with the date and time code in the filename, so they sort in chronological order, even if the sequence numbering out of the camera is screwy. (like what happened when the numbers "rolled over" from IMG_9999.JPG to IMG_0001.JPG on our trip to Bend, OR)

Of course, in order to include date and time info, you really want to have the date and time info be right. Although I usually keep the time on my cameras set and adjusted properly, sometimes it can be a bit tricky, like when we took that trip to Bend, and I forgot to adjust for the change in time between EST and PST. In that case, I was able to use a picture of a sunset along with the sunset data from aa.usno.navy.gov to figure out the proper time adjustment, which I then applied to all the pictures before renaming.

What gets really complicated, though, is our trip to Tucson, AZ for a Western Spirit mountain biking trip. Not only do I have my own pictures from the trip, I also have pictures from four other people who were on the trip! So, now it's a real detective job to figure out who's got the right times and the ones who don't. I thought my times were right, but a sunset picture shows that I never adjusted my camera for MST. Another guy who took pictures at the same time has the times set at 2:23pm the next day! Yet another doesn't have pictures at that sunset, but in one picture, you can read the time on my watch and see he's off by two hours as well... which is appropriate since he runs a bike shop in Montauk. A third, well, I still haven't figured out exactly what the adjustment is on his, because he didn't take that many pictures, and the only overlap I have is with the guy whose pictures appear to be 20 hours off. The last guy? His camera didn't timestamp the EXIF information, and the file time info is useless, so I'm more or less on my own. (Thankfully he only shot 19 pictures, and there's pretty good overlap with the others, so I'll be able to fake the time info so they sort in the right general area.)

If that weren't bad enough, there's the question of -- if it's wrong on this picture, can I assume it's wrong throughout the vacation? Sometimes I remember a little late, and then I adjust the time while I'm out there. Most of the time, honestly, it doesn't matter if I'm off a couple hours in either direction, but when I'm trying to put together the work of five different photographers, it's another story.

Okay, yes, the really important part is I have the pictures themselves, and getting the time right really does not matter a hill of beans, but it's pretty cool to have a picture of Grace and I taken by Jim, right next to another picture at almost the same exact time, taken by Mark, of Jim taking our picture. Plus, when viewing the pictures, it's nice to see them in order, and not wind up jumping around.

To be perfectly honest, it's not an important project at all, but it is fun simply because it is such a challenge, and a learning opportunity. Hey, before I started this, I didn't know that the Navy provides a site that can tell you that on March 16th, 2006, the sun set at 6:32pm in Tucson, AZ, and civil twilight happens at 6:57pm. (nor did I know that "civil twilight" means the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon) It's also a fun challenge to look at different pictures from different cameras to try to correlate what's happening... and the fact that the pictures are of a great vacation with friends and bring back good memories just makes it even better.

No comments: