Friday, June 27, 2008

Bike Tools Etc

In my previous post, I mentioned Larry from Bike Tools Etc. I've been a customer of BTE for a while, ever since the Third Hand cut way back on their bike tool offerings. BTE has an awesome selection of tools from inexpensive to high-end shop-only grade, and their prices are quite reasonable.

However, that's not what made me a real fan of the outfit. I enjoy building bike wheels, and I like using good tools. So, when I saw that DT, a maker of arguably the best spokes out there (and definitely the best aluminum spoke nipples) had a spoke wrench, I really wanted to give it a try. At $48, compared to the classic $8 Park wrench, it was a steep premium to pay, but it looked like a good, strong design that would serve me well... so I finally decided to go ahead and order one. Initially, the spoke wrench worked very, very well, especially on softer aluminum spoke nipples, where higher torques needed for high spoke tension can result in rounded (and thus, useless) nipple flats. The four-sided design held on very securely, and the nice, heavy, chrome design felt good in the hand.

However, after about a year of use, I noticed that the DT was starting to fit a little loose on the nipples, and came very close to rounding the edges of a couple. Since these were all brand new DT aluminum nipples, and they still fit tightly with the Park spoke wrenches, I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that the DT either wore, or stretched. Looking at the design, neither made sense, but I couldn't argue that the wrench just didn't fit well at all. So, I contacted DT directly, figuring that any high quality shop-grade tool would have a lifetime warranty, just like you would find with S-K or Snap-On, or even Craftsman. However, the reply from DT was basically a brush off, telling me that I was out of luck.

So, hoping to get better results, I got in touch with Larry at BTE to see if he had any contacts I could speak to. It had been a year since I bought it, so I didn't even bother asking him to return it. However, he offered to take it back, even though I looked and couldn't find my receipt. Not only take it back -- give me a refund, not just store credit. That type of customer service will win me as a dedicated customer. Of course, to say thanks, I placed an order for double the price of the spoke wrench. Now, if there's anything I need, I try to remember to check and see if BTE has it first, and if the price is anywhere near where I can get it from elsewhere, I'll just go with BTE.

Moral(s) of the story:
  1. Get bike tools (and some components) from Bike Tools Etc.
  2. There's still no spoke wrench as awesome as the Park, except for the newer four-sided Park.

No comments: