Wednesday, October 8, 2008

New bike for Grace

While Grace is still riding and loving her Scott Scale hardtail, we were planning on rebuilding her Santa Cruz Juliana, arguably her first "race grade" bike -- and the bike on which she rode the 2005 and 2006 MTB racing seasons. When I went to assemble it, though, I found a crack in the rear swingarm. I contacted Santa Cruz, sent them the swingarm and some money, and had a replacement. When I mounted that, though, I discovered that there was a fitment problem and while working on that with Santa Cruz, we came to the conclusion that it would just be easier to upgrade to the new frame design, which is said to be lighter and stiffer.

So now, we're shipping back the rest of the frame, and will be getting an all-white 2008 Superlight. Since the new frame is designed around a 100mm fork, not the 80mm fork of the old frame, I had to get her a longer fork, and wound up getting a good deal on a 100mm RockShox REBA. So she'll now have her choice between a lightweight hardtail with an 80mm SID or the Superlight with 100mm travel front and rear. Should be interesting to see what she thinks of riding the Superlight again.

No comments: